Monday, August 13, 2007

Eastern Oregon Trip











So last week we headed out to Eastern Oregon to get away and do some backpacking and the trip was great. The plan was to go out to the Lostine River and hike up that trail to the high alpine lakes and spend the night there. Mileage on the hike in was about 9 miles but I can say it was a beat down. I went in with an out look like that we would be there in no time, I run 9 miles on trails a lot and thought that we would be there fast, that didn't happen though. We had about 3,000 feet of climbing to go up from the trail head to the lakes and it was technical hiking so the pace wasn't very fast and having on heavy packs didn't help any either. We got to the lake about 5 hours after we started hiking and I can honestly say that I have never seen a trail that was a dusty as this one.

So we got to lake and set up camp, we had looked around for one of those "Outside Magazine Cover Shot" campsites but just didn't find one that really would work out great. We get the tent up, have a snack and then Stacie goes down to the lake and comes back with some news. So we go down and she shows me this new campsite and it is incredible, great view of the lake and mountains so we head back up and grab our gear and move down there. I can honestly say that this was the best spot for a tent that I have ever seen....very nice!

Anyway we had fun, the hike out was long and dusty and we were both glad to see the car, hate to say that but I think that I am getting soft in my old age:)







2 comments:

windsurfwahine said...

brendaLooks like a beautiful lake. I love the picture with the refelction on the water but....I won't ask you to take me on that hike when I arrive in a week!!!!!
Your sister by another mother!

Anonymous said...

O.K. So when I ever make it out there again I certainly want to camp in that exact same spot. The view is breathtaking! Buckee