Friday, July 13, 2007

Thinking about bartending


So with the name of this blog I was thinking about how bartending has affected my life. For the most part all of my friends I have met because of bartending. There are only three that come to mind that I new before bartending, Neil, we met in first grade, Joey and Mick, met in college and the rest were from standing behind a bar and getting to know people.

My first bartending job was at Ham's in Burlington, NC, just graduated from Elon College and then started bartending, I think that my parents especially my mom had a tough time understanding this move but after a few years she found out that I was really happy with what I was doing and that this was a "real job" for me and one that I loved.

That was 16 years ago, wow does time fly. So after spending 9 years at Ham's I moved to Hood River, OR and just windsurfed the summers and then went to work at FoxFire Grille in Snowshoe, WV bartending during the winter. The FoxFire job was tough, long hours but the money was great and I had lots of friends come up to spend long weekends skiing or snowboarding and once again they would all come to the bar after skiing and we could hang out. Spent 6 winters doing that, three of those Stacie came with me and having her there made all the difference in the world.

Just over two years ago I started working at 6th Street Bistro and Loft in Hood River. I work on average about 4 nights a week and it is such a great little restaurant bar. The people that I work with are fun and once again my friends come and hang out with me while I am working. The owners are super people (check out the pic, that is them) and seem to like having me around so I think that is a that good thing!

No comments: